The Church of St. Maria della Rocca is one of the most important local monuments located out of the urban area. To its place, there was a Lombard castle and a small chuech belonging to Longino D'Azzone, a local nobleman of French - German origins. In 1039 the castle and the small church were given to the Farfa Abbey and thus, to the Benedictine monks. As testified by an egigraph, in 1330 works began to demolish the castle and built a bigger church. The old church was comprised in the new one, thus creating two side passages, still visible from the crypt, one of which has been used as a burial ground since the 1th century. The outer brick structure is crossed by travertine pilastres on the apsidal side; the crypt can be entered through a travertine portal with sculpted foliage, animals and spirals, placed in the middle of the main apse. The crypt, located in the ground floor, displays several brick columns with rounded capitals bearing pinted and full - centre arches. Still visible are some frescos by the Maestro of Offida. The upper church is a nave and displays some traces of various frescos which once fully decorated the walls.